Monday, April 20, 2009

Stairway to Heaven



Location: Richmond B.C.; Buddhist Temple.


Time of Year: April 20, 2009


Other Info: Ok I'm not Buddhist nor do I plan to change my beliefs in the future. The shot is of a door/ gate handle within the temple grounds. I went to the temple because it represents, in my mind, the visible ethnic shift in the population of the Lower Mainland which causing a change in the urban landscape. According to the 2006 census data the 65% of Richmond's population belong to a visible minority. A prime example of this shift can be seen in the places of worship. The Buddhist Temple is located along the Steveston Hwy, which is nicknamed the "Highway to Heaven" as there is a Mosque, Hindu Temple, Sikh Temple, Synagogue, Buddhist Temple and numerous Churches of differing denominations.

No comments: